Fine Art/Artist and painting

Question
Painting
Painting  

Signature
Signature  
Hello,
I was hoping you can help me. I cannot seem to find this painting,artist,or year it was painted. For that matter i cannot find anything. It is an old painting that my family has had for some time.I attached pictures..Please help

Thank you,
Jeff

Answer
Hi Jeff,
It is beautiful! I believe what you have is a watercolor painting on paper by Canadian artist Lily Osman Adams,(1865-1945). The painting has some damage in the sky area and in the margins that reflects being framed with old acid containing materials. You need to have it taken to an expert framer (not one of those chain store framers; but one who frames fine art for galleries and museums); and framed properly. Please be careful handling the painting as any tears or further damage will affect its value greatly. Lily Osman Adams was an early Canadian impressionist and her work appears to be increasing in value on the secondary market. Your painting could be valued over $1000, depending on condition review and size. I have the artists biography for you below. I hope this information is helpful.
Kind regards,
Dolly
headleyfineart.com

Lily Osman Adams was born in Toronto, Canada in 1865 and also studied in New York and London under artists McGillivray Knowles, Birge Harrison and Stanley Forbes. According to her bio, she held a joint show in 1924 with fellow artist Minnie Kallmeyer and received an admiring review from "Saturday Night."  Further; “Watercolour and pastel were her primary media, though she also painted in oils. She is also known for painting 18 plates with underwater designs for the Cabot Commemorative State Dinner Service, now part of the collection of the Canadian Museum of Civilization. Her work has been shown at the Royal Canadian Academy (1904-36), the Canadian National Exhibition (1907), and the Ontario Society of Artists (1903-20). The Art Gallery of Ontario owns one of her works, a pastel study of trilliums. During the 1930s, she also organized annual exhibitions of her paintings at her studio on Irwin Street.” ~ Canadian Women Artists History Initiative  

Dolly D Headley