Fine Art/Edwin Douglas

I have two paintings of the Edwin Douglas paintings SARK and ALDERNEY. These appear to have been done in the late 1800's. They are in old frames with board backing. They are in color and are in excellent condition. It is possible to see and feel the texture of paint but they are not oils. They are painted on what appears to be thick paper. I will appreciate any information you can give me about them and also information about the value.

Dear Betsy,
The images of Sark and Alderney have been widely reproduced for over 100 years. There were several variations painted of each by the artist, but these have been accounted for in museums and private collections. As a painter, Edwin Douglas painted on canvas or board, with very few exceptions.
From the information you have given me I can confirm that you have reproduction prints on heavy cardboard after the paintings. It was common practice for many years for art publishers to photograph an original painting, print it on to a piece of heavy cardboard or paper that was then glued to a board, and then frame it for the decorative home art market. To make the print more realistic and have the look of an original oil painting, they added brushstroke texture with clear varnish as a topcoat. This also enabled them to frame without glass. Some of these reproductions are quite good and difficult to distinguish from an original work of art. There is no real investment value to these prints. You will sometimes see them on sites such as ebay and usually selling for under $50. The most valuable of the images is the etching of Sark by A.C.Alais after the original painting by Douglas. It was printed in 1900 with later more modern restrike etchings published by Thomas Loss Ltd.
If you have a magnifying glass, you may be able to see the lines or circles of the offset printing method used near the margins. If you still feel you may have original paintings, I would suggest you take it to a local antique/art dealer or museum and have them take a look at them for you.I hope this information is helpful.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.