Fine Art/Help identifying artist or any other info

painting front
painting front  

painting detail
painting detail  
Hi Dolly--I have a beautiful oil painting of ships in a harbor that I can't find any information about. The quality is so nice that I find it hard to believe that the artist wouldn't have other identifiable pieces circulating about which could shed some light on my particular piece. I bought it from a gal on Craigslist for cheap a few years ago. I think the flags on the ships are French but I could be mistaken. There is no signature anywhere that I can find on front or back. I would think that it is original because there are  tiny paintbrush hairs embedded in the paint, as well as little clods of paint here and there, layers on the edges, etc. I'm not sure of the age, but it doesn't seem too old and is in excellent condition. I live in the San Diego area, and I'm not sure if it's a local artist or not. Do you recognize the artist, or can you shed any more light on this painting for me? Any other suggestions on who might be able to help me in my quest would be appreciated too. Thanks!

Dear Melinda,
I wish I had great news to tell you, but without an artist name it is impossible for me to identify the artist of this painting. It would be easier to find an artist with similar work if the painting were of the same period as the scene. I am always leery of a contemporary painting of a different era as there are a million (literally) very good Chinese artists producing reproductions of work by famous or recognized artists from the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries.
The flags are actually Dutch, The Netherlands. The scene could be 19th century Table Bay. I hope this information is helpful.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.