Fine Art/Milton Sessions Painting

Question
I have Sessions painting original no doubt. It is signed with 39. I want to sell it for what it is worth. I am looking for a collector but not a dealer who is going to resell it. I don't like that. Any advice? Thank you. And one more question: may be you know any information about the old approximately 1830s woodblock (carved piece of wood works like a stamp) It prints a picture on page 32 to the French edition of Virginia and Paul book from 2 centuries ago. I can not find any info about it. It was bought at the auction 40 years ago and is being kept in a shodaw frame. Any help will be greately appreciated. Thank you!

Answer
Irina,
You might sell it on eBay, if you do not wish to avail yourself of the services of a dealer.  eBay provides a good 1:1 selling system that eliminates the middleman...for the most part.  You'll still pay eBay a small listing fee.  

However, I'd strongly suggest that most dealers are honest, hard-working professionals who are not out to gouge buyers and sellers.  They do earn the fees they charge by creating a marketplace for full examination, vetting and exchange of fine art.  A reputable dealer would give you much more background on the artist James Milton Sessions (1882-1962), and compare your artwork to those that have recently sold in the marketplace, both privately and at public auction.  By examining the condition, composition, size, execution and subject matter of your artwork, a dealer could most precisely price your artwork.  Many dealers will sell on consignment, as well.  I have learned over the years to trust dealers to give me the best price possible.  

I have no information for you regarding your woodblock.  I do wish you the best.  Enjoy your art!  

Stuart Cartwright