Fine Art/oil painting

Question
Flower Girl
Flower Girl  

Flower Girl
Flower Girl  
I purchased a small oil (or acrylic) painting on wood (9x12") of a young woman in a aqua blue dress and a white bonnet.  She is holding flower pots in both arms and is standing by a doorway.  The signature in lower left corner looks something like: "Nuble-Ive".  The woman's dress style looks like it could be from 1800s (full length; not fancy; plain).  See attached image and signature. The words written in pencil on back: "Breton Flower Girl".   

Can you tell me anything about the painting?  I found it at a yard sale and love it.  It is in a plain gold wooden frame.

Answer
Shelley,
This is possibly the work of Sarah Noble Ives (1864-1944) a California artist who primarily executed illustrations for children's books of the early twentieth century.  

This brief biography is found in Edan Hughes "Artists in California (1786-1940)":
"Born in Grosse Ile, MI on March 10, 1864. Ives was a resident of Middletown, CT in 1915. Moving to California in 1920, she settled in Pasadena. A spinster, she died there on Nov. 27, 1944. Exh: Pasadena Art Inst., 1928 (Spring on Grapevine Grade)."

Contact Wickliff Auctioneers in Carmel, Indiana.  They sold similar oils by this artist in November 2003 (Lots #447 & #448), fetching hammer prices of $2000 and $400 respectively.  I would fathom your oil would come in closer to the latter sum. Good job with the photos.

Good luck with your picture.  

Stuart Cartwright