Fine Art/Oil Painting Carmichael

I have an oil painting that is very high quality that was framed by Anco Bilt, Glendale, N.Y.  The painting is of Red Roses in a red vase and it is somewhat off center.  The signature on the painting is Carmichael in script.

The painting was apparently purchased by a man for his new wife as a wedding gift over 60 years ago.  It was purchased in NY and carried by train to take to his wife in a small farming village north of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  We purchased it from a small art gallery near this western town.  It is outstanding in its quality and depth.  The richness of colour is amazing.   

On the frame are markings R1/41   WD 155.

Do you know of this artist?

We live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

Thank you

I cannot give you an answer.  Yes, Anco Bilt mass produced frames in the post WWII era on Long Island. This was a go-go time for building houses, and selling framed artwork to go on walls going up everywhere.  In short, I suspect you have mass produced art.  Not the work of a particular or listed fine artist. Most listed artists sign with first names or initials at least. A number of Carmichael's are listed fine artists, but no one who would have produced this still life.

I am quite sure it is a handsome piece, obviously highly valued by a bridegroom, and now by you.  So, enjoy it.  Hang it in a spot where you might enjoy it every day!  Don't bet the kids' college education on it, though.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration