Fine Art/Painting

Question
Painting
Painting  

Painting2
Painting2  
Hi Dolly,

We bought this painting and we were wondering if you could help us identify it or give us any information about it. It's 20cm by 64cm and the back, written on the wooden frame (not sure how to describe it, the back is kind of complicated), is "Guardi" and it looks like it says "1742." I've attached two pictures, one of the entire painting and a closeup of a part of it. If you need any more pictures I'll be happy to send them over. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks for your time!!

Answer
Dear Adela,

The scene is Venice and I located a family of artists whose work is very similar in the classic Venetian school and from the same period. The most famous of the brothers was Francesco Guardi (1712-1793). I suggest you take your painting to a museum that has an old masters section and have them take a look at it for you. If it does not have the artistís signature it may be considered from his studio. Francesco Guardi paintings can sell for over a million dollars so it is worth pursuing. I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley