Fine Art/Painting

Hi Dolly,

We bought this painting and we were wondering if you could help us identify it or give us any information about it. It's 20cm by 64cm and the back, written on the wooden frame (not sure how to describe it, the back is kind of complicated), is "Guardi" and it looks like it says "1742." I've attached two pictures, one of the entire painting and a closeup of a part of it. If you need any more pictures I'll be happy to send them over. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks for your time!!

Dear Adela,

The scene is Venice and I located a family of artists whose work is very similar in the classic Venetian school and from the same period. The most famous of the brothers was Francesco Guardi (1712-1793). I suggest you take your painting to a museum that has an old masters section and have them take a look at it for you. If it does not have the artistís signature it may be considered from his studio. Francesco Guardi paintings can sell for over a million dollars so it is worth pursuing. I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.