Fine Art/provenance,appraissals, seek artist, search artist, valuations antiques and clooectibles

Question
Hello
I am thinking to buy an item of impressionist painting with a certificate which says this is to certify that this is a pencil signed silkscreen of Le Blanc, document dated in 1985. He is probably not the Julius Leblanc stewart. I don't know if it is worth of buying it. Debating between this one and an original lithograph by Chagall from the same person with certificate also from 85, that original sign in stone after / by Chagall.
thanks
K

Answer

Hello Kian;
Thank you for this very interesting and unusual question.
This is a very tricky question to answer.
Often, when discussing such delicate matters, a  more concrete visual object  is represented and clearly shown.
In this case however, most of the “bones of the matter” are not visible.
Given the fact, that no visual representations and other documentation are available , then my best advice would be;
Caveat Emptor – Buyer Beware.
Be sure of the source, from which you are buying - and get a full provenance research.
Get HQ  imagery of the artefacts in question, then and seek professional advice from  at least - 2 reputable auction  houses for  further advice.
Certificates are pretty much worthless, however - proper lab forensics are far better, but are also more costly.
The market is awash with fakes and if it appears - too good to be true, then it may well indeed be  so!  
Therefore starting points would be Sothebys and Christie, but also Bonhams.
The yellow pages will all point you in the right direction.
I wish you, very good luck in your quest and all the best, at the various hurdles.
Better - to be safe than sorry, as the saying goes.
Take care.
David  

D. E. Lombardo