Fine Art/Arthur V Diehl

Question
print in frame
print in frame  

signature
signature  
This print is approximately 31.5 x 17.5 inches. In the lower left is John Dreschner Co. NY and the lower right is Arthur V Deighl. A Glimpse of Venice. I would like to know what type of print this is and an approximate value.

Thank You

Answer
Dear Donna,
I did some research on the artist to see if he created original prints. I found a few small etchings, but no original lithographs. I am fairly certain your print is a photogravure (heliogravure), after one of his original oil paintings. The photogravure process creates a much higher quality reproduction than the offset lithograph process used for most copies. Your print appears to be in good condition, but I would have a professional open it up and make sure the materials that are in contact with the print are of archival quality; meaning acid free. The period frame is beautiful with the print so I would continue to display the art in it, but with updated support materials. I did a research on existing prints in the same caliber as yours and found a wide retail price range from $250-$850. Condition is crucial in determining art value. Your print in its existing frame would have more value, (in my opinion), than most in a retail antique shop. I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley