Fine Art/Chagall 1957 Jaques Lassaigne volume

Question
Hello Dan,

A little Chagall print has recently turned up in my corner of the world, and I'm interested in it, however, it is at an estate sale and there's no provenance information at all. It is the Accordionist, appears to be signed in pencil or maybe even conte. It's not on regular print paper but more like heavy cardstock, has virtually no borders, and is folded down the middle. From a bit of online research I see that it's part of this 'lassaigne volume', and many of the pieces are similarly sized and folded. Is there anywhere I can see what the whole volume looked like? I'm just starting out and stumbled across this site, so I thought I'd throw out a question and see if you can point me in the right direction.  Thanks!

Answer
A few red flags here, #1 Estate Sales tend to pass along any documents they get from the seller and not do new authenticity reports from a known expert as that would cost them quite a bit per estate they clean out. Any works we sell here have to have documents from known experts. Also, "folded down the middle"? Damage is not good, avoid damaged art.(If it was intentionally folded, maybe thats ok, but my collectors do not want folded art) Also, the people I know in the art world who specialize in Chagall told me there are more fake Chagall prints out there than any other artist, I'm not sure thats true, but it at least tells you there are a large number of reproductions or decorative level prints. There is no such thing as FREE authenticity and appraisal reports, any legit expert charges a fee and can back up all statements with verifyable information. More research would have to be done to know for sure. Last, very low prices for works by these level of artists is a red flag, no one gives away a Chagall for a low price or "deal" if they have done any research at all.

Dan

Dan Twyman