Fine Art/Currier and Ives

I have lithograph? of Currier and Ives. It is called The Indian Pass, Rocky Mountains. On the back of the frame covering is typed Plate IV THE INDIAN PASS-ROCKY MOUNTAINS (9 3/4 BY 17 INCHES) Lith. of Currier & Ives, N.Y H.T.P. 1548. I would like to know if it is real or a reproduction. My problem is the actual size is nowhere near the size that is on the rear label. It measures about 9 1/8 by 6 inches. Any info. you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks
P.S. My great great grandfather worked at a lithograph place, but don't know what he did there.

Dear Syd,
The Indian Pass, Rocky Mountains was originally released in the medium folio size, approximately the size listed on the back of your print. If yours is smaller, it cannot be original. When measuring Currier & Ives prints, you measure only the image area; not the margins or the title area. I found an example of an original of this print at a retail gallery online. I will give you the link so that you can compare the image. It may be that your print was an original that someone cut to fit a frame. Many antique prints were cut to fit frames in the early and mid century and thus loss all of their value. The gallery has their copy listed at $4500. I hope this information is helpful.
Kind regards,

Link to print:

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.