Fine Art/Jane Avril 1899 print in metal black frame

Question
I have a signed Jane Avril 1899 print measuring 22x28.7 and framed in a black metal Nielsen frame.  I think it is from the  early 1900's because of the mess mounting wire attached to the back side of the frame. Can you enlighten me on the value of this lithograph, please.

Answer
Dear PansyJo,

Since I cannot inspect the print I cannot tell you if you have an original. I do want to caution you that you cannot date a piece of art by its framing. Some newer art has been framed in antique frames and vice versa. I am fairly certain they did not use Nielsen metal frames in the 19th century. There are numerous prints involving Jane Avril. If it is the one where she is standing wearing a hat with a yellow/orange background, the original release size was approximately 22 x 14 7/8 inches in the image area and recent auction sells for that version is in the $30,000 and up range depending on condition. The other popular Jane Avril was of her doing the can can on stage with the orchestra in the foreground. The original of that print was a large poster and measures approximately 50 x 38 inches and sells in the same range. There are later versions of both that vary in value but usually not more than several thousand dollars. To get a realistic estimate of the value of the print you have, you will need to have it inspected by an expert to determine exactly what you have. I hope this is helpful and I hope you have an original.

Kind regards,
Dolly
headleyfineart.com

Dolly D Headley