Fine Art/John Williamson oil paintings

Wolstonbury Hill South Downs
Wolstonbury Hill South  
Dear Mr.Cartwright: I'm emailing you in regards to 3 oil paintings that I have.I believe that they are the work of John Williamson,there is one signature that is fairly decent.I no nothing of this subject,but after studying the paintings I truly believe they are done by the same hand.Your opinion and any light you can shed for me is greatly appreciated.
The picture I've sent is of the smallest piece,here are the measurements,600mm X 255mm X 10mm ,this piece is signed and entitled Wolstonbury Hill South Downs,this is done on the back of canvas.The piece with boats and dock measures 606mm X 405mm X 10mm,I'm unable to find a signature but there seems to be something on the back.The river scene with boats and small island measures 610mm X 405mm X 10mm,it's signed but seems to be untitled.If you want more pictures,feel free to email me.
All 3 paintings are due for a cleaning but I don't see any real damage.I bought all 3 works in 1 lot,private sale,that's their history with me.I'm also asking for advise as to where I go from here,.I'd like to have them auctioned.Thanks for your time,

Immediately, one suspects a British artist given the common name and South Downs locale. The most famous American fine artist of this name emigrated from Scotland as a lad, but his works are beautiful far reaching landscapes of the the nineteenth century American frontier.  

Feel free to send me some snaps of the signature, and the whole group of paintings.  Look me up online at Cartwright Fine Art.

Skinners in Massachusetts conducts European picture auctions on occasion.  Ms. Robin Starr is the Department Chair.  There are a number of fine Canadian/International auction houses in Toronto including in no particular order: Bonhams-Canada, Ritchies, Waddingtons, Walkers.

(One note about cleaning. Often a dealer would much prefer to purchase a painting pre-cleaning, to more fully understand its history, and to have any work done him/herself.)  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration