Fine Art/Moti Print

Dear Ms. Headly:

Several years ago I came across a Moti print at an estate auction in Detroit. I have searched the internet to find a similar print but without luck...thus I am hoping you can help.

The print is about 18" x 24" some of which is under the matting. It is numbered 34 of 120 and signed in the lower left corner "Keiko Moti 69".  The subject appears to be a pair of falcons sitting side by side on a tree branch.

I am hoping that you might be able to identify this piece and also provide a general ideal of its value.

Thank you,
Joe Papa
York, PA

Dear Joe,

You have an original aquatint etching referred to as “Birds of Prey” or “Falcons”, by East Indian artist Kaiko Moti. His original etchings are very popular among collectors on the secondary art market. Your print is fairly rare as it was released in a small limited edition size of only 120. The current retail gallery market value is somewhere between $1500-2500. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Kaiko Moti Biography (from Annex Galleries)

Kaiko Moti, East Indian, 1921-1989
Moti was born Kaikobad Motiwalla in Bombay in 1921. He began private design classes at age fourteen and, between the years 1939 and 1946, he attended the Bombay School of Fine Arts. Moti moved to London in 1946 and continued his art studies at the Slade School of Art of the University College receiving his Masters Degree in painting and sculpture.
In 1950 Moti settled into becoming a permanent resident of Paris. He attended the Academie de la Grand Chaumiere and studied sculpture with Ossip Zadkine at his atelier. In 1952, Moti began studying engraving with Stanley William Hayter at Atelier 17 where he pioneered many techniques in the field of viscosity printing.
Moti began exhibiting in 1953, and showed internationally at the Venice Biennale, the Bibliotheque Nationale, the Basel Art Fair, the Art Expo and the New York Public Library. He won various awards and is represented in the permanent collections of the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Paris Musee d’Art Moderne and Bibliotheque Nationale. Moti was an honorary member of the Academy of Florence.  Moti died in Paris in 1989.

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.