Fine Art/oil painting

Question
I have a small (10 x 8 ish)oil on wood painting in what looks to be a handmade frame. It was in a box that I bought at an auction in Buffalo, MO. It came out of an estate of an elderly woman that had passed with no family. There is nothing on the back, it is signed Bennett with what appears to be an M in front of it, but unsure. I would like to know who the artist is for sure, and if I should have this painting valued. Thank you so much!

Answer
Don't send too much time researching this, and please don't waste any money having it appraised.  Your painting is probably worth $100 or less.  Ivey-Selkirk is an auction house in St. Louis. You could try sending them several good electronic images of the front, back and closeup of the signature, and ask about it.  There are a number of M. Bennetts in art databases, but without prolific records.  If you like the painting, keep it and hang it where you can enjoy it.  Consider giving it to someone who you might think would appreciate it.  Best of luck.

Stuart Cartwright