Fine Art/painter named bernard

Hi I have a painting left to me by my grandmother. it is signed by Bernard but i can't seem to find any other info on who the artist is. It has a carved gilted wood frame and by the dress of the subject matter i believe it could be 19th century french. Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Thank You Curt

Dear Curt,
I checked and there are dozens of artists from that era with the last name Bernard. Is there a first initial or any other markings on front or back? Without a full name, it is extremely difficult to identify an artist. I might be able to help if I can see better images of the painting and signature. Please send clear high quality jpeg images of the entire front, back, and close ups of the signature and any other writing on the art; front and back. Also include the size of the art. I'll need a better photo of the full image. It needs to be photographed straight on. You might be able to get a good shot if you take it outside in natural light. Email photos as attachments only, to

Please include your original question in the body of the email.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.