Fine Art/Picasso's "Before the Thrust"

Question
Hello Mr. Evans:

First, you're very handsome;  I am a senior citizen, not flirting :-)

I have a 15x24 framed painting (not sure if it's a reproduction, doesn't seem like it but it is not oil) from Catalda Fine Arts.  The label does not indicate it's a print and it's quite old.  It says 8232 Before the Thrust and has an order number.  I got it from my husband (now deceased) as a gift.  Is it worth anything? I have read your comments about Catalda and their ethics, but thught maybe in this case they were ligitmate - :-).

Answer
Hello Pauline,

And thank you for the kind compliment.  Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that your Catalda work is different from the others...I'm afraid that my answer must remain the same: Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. The work that you have by Catalda is likely a reproduction with only decorative value (no real collectible value). Catalda Fine Arts has a somewhat marred reputation, as they were involved in litigation for many years regarding copyright violations to the images that they produced.

The values can vary on these Catalda works based on factors such as the desirability of the image, the artist, size, condition, and framing.  They tend to range from $50 to a few hundred if the work is in excellent condition and nicely framed. That being said, if your work was created after the image of a work by Picasso and is nicely framed, it might be worth more along the lines of a few hundred dollars than $50.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans