Fine Art/art appraisal

Question
Hi Andrew.  I have two framed pieces of art depicting Japanese courtesans.  They were purchased at Catalda Fine Arts, Inc. many years ago by my mother-in-law.  She does not remember much about them and I was curious if they were of any value or not.  The framing is nice and they are rather large (approx. 36x16).  Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hello Mary Ann,

Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. Unfortunately, the work that you have by Catalda is likely a reproduction with only decorative value (no real collectible value). Catalda Fine Arts has a somewhat marred reputation, as they were involved in litigation for many years regarding copyright violations to the images that they produced.

The values can vary on these Catalda works based on factors such as the desirability of the image, the artist, size, condition, and framing.  They tend to range from $50 to a few hundred if the work is in excellent condition and nicely framed.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Best,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans