Fine Art/Itzchak Tarkay

Gathering of Friends
Gathering of Friends  
Please advise of whomelse I might inquire regarding this watercolor, if not you, as I am having difficulty identifying those listed as appropriate to receive Tarkay questions. ( Dan Twyman responded that he only specializes in S. Dali)

I recently purchased an original watercolor by Tarkay.  The N. Isen certificate of authenticity says is is "untitled(a gathering of friends)".  Medium: Original mixed media watercolor on Arches paper with original drawing on 2 sheets"

My question is why is the watercolor of 3 women framed in the same frame with the drawing which is of 2 different women in different postures?  Also, the head of one of the pen-drawn women is partially covered by the bottom edge of the watercolor.  As it is necesssary to reframe, do I leave the watercolor and drawing as is together?  Why are they together?

Thank you Cathy for the question regarding ( Yitzak) -  Isaac Tarkey,  and  also providing the very  good and clear photo documentation; which is essential when answering any questions.

Very  briefly the  most probably reason for the somewhat disjointed  and chaotic framing, is that somebody has been a bit a naughty and also very sloppy; in the matter of the proper framing of  the artifacts.

Therefore, the two quite separate  works of art have unfortunately -  been placed into one frame; in order to save  a couple of pennies!

We ourselves,  are involved  on a daily basis in  the tasks of restoration, authentication and research of various works of art and historic monuments.
This, yet another case unfortunate case which we see and where it also shows, a very bad taste and  a lack of professional  attitude to present  any art works; in such a sloppy and disorganized manner.
It not only detracts from the works individually, but also the financial value of the objects themselves as a whole.

Rather sadly, the  art market also  has its share of  >> cowboys << and dark alleyways.
However, to look on the bright side, a little bit of judicious cosmetic surgery and  professional expertise, can  quite easily remedy the >> sins << of  the past.
So, the  separation of  the  watercolour and sketch, into two separate  artifacts;  is the best  solution.
This in turn, will of course greatly  add value to your two artifacts.

There are quite a number of loose ends however, which all need a much closer examination.
Therefore, my advice would be for you to take it along to a good auction house near to where you live - and get a " Hands On " examination of the work; and also in order to achieve a balanced answer for the next vital step.

The yellow pages, should point you in the direction of the larger and  more reliable auction houses at your location in Houston
I would strongly advise, in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a examination.

They in turn, will also be able to point you in the direction of a good professional  picture framer in your location -  and not a cowboy!.

Very good luck indeed, at the auction house.
I quite am sure, that they will be able to help you over the last hurdle, so to speak!

Take care.
Ps; One last thing,  Isaac Tarkey being both a very colorful  artist who also led a very  varied life, has  rather sadly - quite recently died, aged 77.  However he left a very colorful and prolific legacy, for the world to enjoy.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.