Fine Art/landscape painting

QUESTION: I found a painting of mountains and it is signed in the bottom right corner with what looks like 71 # norton.  I am trying to figure out if the artist is known and if it has any value. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Dear Mandy

I will take a look at the painting and signature and see if I can help. Please send clear high quality jpeg images of the entire front, back, and close ups of the signature and any other writing on the art; front and back. Also include the size of the art. Email to

Please include your original question in the body of the email and allexperts in the subject line.

Kind regards,

QUESTION: Just wondering if you were able to find out anything about this painting/artist.

Thanks  Mandy

Dear Mandy,
I hope you are doing well. I have received and reviewed your photographs. I do not recognize the image. It is probably 1971 as it is not old enough to be 1871. The technique is called "heavy impasto"; which means the artist used a full brush or palette knife of oil to create the "chunky" look of the painting. While checking artist registries for the last name of Norton who may have been painting during 1971; I found there are literally dozens, but none that fit the same style of your painting. Unfortunately without a first name, I am unable to more research.
Overall, I believe it may be the work of a regional novice artist. I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

P.S. Please do not be discouraged if you do not know the artist of a painting you love. I do not know who painted my favorite painting; or many of the paintings in my home. I did not buy them for an investment; other than for my spirit. Love the art you live with and never apologize for it. :)

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.