Fine Art/Parsons & Atwater : Four Seaons of Life: Middle Age

Question
Four Seasons of Life
Four Seasons of Life  
I have a Parsons & Atwater picture that belonged to my grandparents. Four Seasons of Life: Middle Age. This is a print with varies of black & blue color.  At the bottom left J.M.Ives, Del. is written, on the far right bottom Drawn by: Parsons & Atwater. I am looking to find an estimated value of this print and to also inquire about obtaining the other 3 seasons that would match. Any help will be appreciated

Answer
Hello Amy,
Thank you for the both the image, and the question.
These types of  imagery, were extremely popular during the mid and  later quarter of the 19th century. Today they are less popular  than in former times, and are collected mainly by specialists in this genre.

These prints could possibly be variations of the of the  other versions of the same subject,  and all belong to the same period  of the mid- 19th century period.

However, the ones you have could possibly be reprints of the larger versions.
As to your particular artefact, in all probability is more likely to be a litho-print, however the technical attributes of the  image, are hard to define just from a photo.
Furthermore, if it really is a genuine original colored litho print, then a real time >>hands on<<  inspection by an auction house, can make a very good assessment; as to condition and value, etc. All these factors, are closely interwoven.
The average prices for those works all depends on; size, artist, quality, provenance, subject matter and condition - which are all  indeed -  highly important -  and also do also vary a great deal.

As the title  of  >>Four Seasons of Life<<  suggests, the themes of this genre are;
the  differing  passage of time; and the seasons.

The Four Seasons of Life are divided thus;  " The Four Seasons of Life: Middle Age. : "The Seasons of Strength."; The Four Seasons of Life: Old Age. : "The Season of Rest."
From the  >>Genre<< -  category and works by Currier & Ives,
Published in New York, by Currier & Ives at 152, Nassau Street.
The medium : Lithograph  and  also hand coloured,
Year of production is 1868.
Size; Large folio - average image size 15 7/16 x 23 9/16" (392 x 600 mm). ( sizes do vary)
Object Descriptions; executed on stone by James M. Ives. Artists  "Middle Age" and "Old Age" Charles R. Parsons and Lyman W. Atwater.

The local yellow pages, should point you in the direction of the auction houses in your location  up in Michigan.
I would strongly advise, in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a valuation. Second opinions, are always very beneficial indeed.

Furthermore; should you desire to take it to auction  in order to sell- then I would also advise on selling it with a fixed bottom end reserve - but perhaps with a 10% auctioneers discretion.

Selling without a fixed reserve, is definitely not to recommended.
The auction house may also be able to assist, when making any new acquisitions of such works.

Very good luck indeed at the auction house. I quite am sure that they will be able to help you over the last hurdle, so to speak!
My final  passing comment is therefore, to err on the side of caution.
Take care.
David.

D. E. Lombardo