Fine Art/Cohan Oil on Canvas painting

Oil on Canvas
Oil on Canvas  

Oil on Canvas
Oil on Canvas  
I bought this oil on canvas painting at an estate sale and was hoping to get a little more information on it. It is signed in the lower right hand corner with the name Cohan. I have looked "Cohan" up and there seems to be quite a few artist with that last name and I can not find any other works similar to this one to help me figure out which Cohan I have. It looks older than a contemporary piece so that helps narrow it down a little. This painting measures approve: 26" X 22" (not including frame). Thank you for any help you can give me!

P.S I am assuming this is an American artist, not sure though.

A Richard R. Cohan is listed in Edan Hughes, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"
Born in Kansas in 1892. While in Los Angeles in 1920, Cohan worked for the movie studios.

Matt, possibly it is this gentleman who is your Cohan?  At first glance, my thoughts were immediately that this piece was done by an early to mid-20th century commercial illustrator, perhaps for a magazine or adventure novel.  So, how about an illustration to promote a movie in 1930s?  That's my guess.  If so, there is no preventing you from offering this as such through an auction house or on eBay or such.  I would hesitate to categorize it as "fine art" nor would many "fine art" galleries be interested in the work.  But this is not to say that you might not enjoy the picture on your own walls!

Hope that helps.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration