Fine Art/Painting

Question
Painting
Painting  

Signature
Signature  

I'm hoping you can give me any information about this piece. It's a painting, looks to be an oil on canvas, signed by "Philip Muhr." On the back is written "Philip Muhr Gay Head 1911" in the same handwriting as the signature. I've attached pictures of the painting and the signature. If you need any more information or pictures please let me know.

Thank you very much!

Answer
Adela,
Philip "Phiz" Muhr was an American Fine Artist who lived 1860-1916.  Active in Pennsylvania, but as you are aware, Gay Head is at Martha's Vineyard off Massachusetts.  Your picture is a very good depiction of the bluffs there.

He is not a prolific painter, and his pictures do not appear at auction very much, though he is referenced in Peter Falk's "Who Was Who in American Art."  

Your painting is likely only to fetch a few hundred dollars were it to sell at auction.  I'd recommend Eldreds in Dennis, MA as a likely outlet if you are looking to go that route.

Hope that is of help.

Stuart Cartwright