Fine Art/Chagall - Jaques Lassaigne

Hello Andrew,
I have recently inherited this book, it is in good condition (slight discoloration) and contains all 15 lithographs, all but one of which is in excellent condition (the red rooster has a small crease on the edge).  Can you tell me a little bit about this book? are these posters?  what would be the value?  Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello Jesse,

These works are considered original Chagall lithographs from the portfolio "Chagall" by Jacques Lassaigne. This portfolio was published by Maeght Editeur, Paris in 1957 and consists of 15 original lithographs. The text and typography for this portfolio were printed by Draeger Freres, Montrouge and the lithographs were printed by Mourlot Freres, Paris.

I cannot tell exactly from the attached images, but I imagine that your lithographs are unsigned and unnumbered. If this is the case, I believe that this entire portfolio sells for around $1,000 - $1,200 at auction.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University