Fine Art/cosgrove

I have recently found an oil painting that is an autumn forest scene with a stream. The signature is cosgrove. A very canadian looking painting. Any direction?

Stanley Morel Cosgrove (1911-2002) was a very well known Montreal artist.  A prolific painter who tackled two subjects almost exclusively: portraits and trees.  His works are very popular in collections and museums throughout Canada and elsewhere.  Good pieces have sold at public auction recently for $3,000 - $5,000, and some for much more. Lesser pieces don't sell at all.
I'd suggest you do more research, get a number of hi-res digital photos of your piece, and contact galleries in Montreal that know this artist. That is, if you are looking to sell your artwork.  Otherwise, learn about him, hang the trees in a prominent spot, and cherish this well-known and proud Canadian.  Bonne chance!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration