Fine Art/found oil painting

Pretty Girl
Pretty Girl  
We were at antique store closing sale.  Spotted save this  Walnut frame.  We bought and found another oil painting behind.

Well lucky you! I agree: a pretty girl!

I would say a proud father commissioned this portrait of his daughter sometime in the early twentieth century. She is posed in her finest Sunday dress, with a striking blue bow.  Perhaps she was "sweet sixteen?"  What a pensive look! What was she thinking? And what became of her?  Fun to speculate.  

Done before the days of Kodak Brownies, and well before Instagram, this would have served as the family's main remembrance of their beautiful daughter and intended to hang proudly in their home.  It's a shame more folks don't sit for painted portraits these days.  Those thousands of cheap digital photos won't last as long as this nice portrait.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration