Fine Art/Picasso

Question
Picasso
Picasso  

the name
the name  
In the early 80's I bought a bulk lot from an auction, it came from N.Y. from a lady that had passed away in her 90's. She owned a antique shop. In it was some old prints but I would like to ask you about this picture. I had it looked at in San Dieago by a Lady that dealt in the old Masters and told me she was sure it was real but it had been cut down and put in an old frame and a someone put red felt strips around it to look like a frame. She said, that would effect the value,she was not sure how much but I needed to get it appraised and take it out of the tube, i have it in. What do you think about the way it looks?

Answer
That looks like an image of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. Yes if you cut a signed print and then glue fabric to it, most will have no interest as it has been quite damaged in the process. If you feel it has a Picasso signature from his own hand, then it needs to be authenticated and sent to art restoration, so the costs to you can get up in to the high hundreds or even more just to get it on the legit market for Picasso works. You have to disclose all history for each piece you sell, so even if you fix it, you still have to disclose that it was once damaged. Steve Wynn sold a Damaged Picasso for many Millions of Dollars, but that was a one of a kind painting sold via a big auction house.

Best regards,

Dan Twyman
collectdali@aol.com <-- please use my email for any future contact about this work.

Dan Twyman