Fine Art/Artwork Question

I have artwork by John Pike signed in the front corner and it has a small paper on the back with the number 699 and Title Lake Lure.  What does this mean? Is it valuable?

As you did not include a photo of your work I am going off the only "Lake Lure" I could find which is an original watercolor by John Pike that is 20 in x 27 in and sold for $1,700 here: . Unfortunately on the back of the example I found there is no 669 but that could be due to a number of reasons. Yours could be a reproduction with little to no resale value or yours could be the work that sold and you removed the backing to find the 669 which could be an identification number. In searching through the internet I found a discussion on John Pike's work where his great-granddaughter Anne noted that "If you have a painting, etc, that you wish to have assessed/authenticated, your best bet is to contact Sotheby's." Hopefully that helps.  

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University