Fine Art/Braque painting

Georges Braque
Georges Braque  
Hello Andrew,  I have a painting by Georges Braque it has a number and a signature. On the back it says Nature Morte Still
Life. It was given to my mother in the mid 1960's from a woman
who was her friend and employer for many years.
My mother and her friend has since passed.
For years it was displayed at my mother home and she gave it to me. I never paid any attention who it was by until now. I have done some research and now I need some help.
Does the painting have any value?  Thank you for so much for your time.  Joanne

Dear Joanne,

I do believe from doing research that the work you have is an offset lithograph. It is signed "S. Braque 42" which is for the year, 1942 and when a signature is embedded in the work like that, it is what is called a plate signature-meaning it is not hand-signed by the artist. Unfortunately the hand-signature by the artist is what gives the work its high market value. A great example of such hand-signed pieces by Braque is here if you'd like to compare:   

The number I believe your referring to is the VP### on the back of the work in front of the title which is a publishers/printers identifying mark. In looking up the value of your work it sells for around $5-$20. I'm sorry it is not better news, but hopefully it helps. If you do feel like you have a painting then you will want to contact the Braque expert by the name of Armand IsraŽl whose email is

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University