Fine Art/CHAGALL

Question
Chagall
Chagall  

Numbers
Numbers  
Have you seen this image before? I can't find it anywhere and I'm just wondering if it's authentic. It's signed and numbered in pencil and was my grandmother's but I don't know anything else about it.

Thanks!

Answer
Dear Hali,

I was sent a similar work over a year ago, unnumbered, but with what looks like the same printed signature as it appears darker than the edition. In addition, Chagall's editions of roman numerals did not go up to 300 and the work is not referenced in his catalog rasionee which is what the art community considers to be his collection of accepted lithographic works. This means that unfortunately, this print looks to be a reproduction.  Reproductions do not have collectible value, as they are not original prints. For examples of Chagall's original prints, please reference the below link: http://www.masterworksfineart.com/inventory/chagall/

Hopefully you can enjoy the image of this work and appreciate its decorative appeal. I am sorry to not bear better news, but I do hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Best,

Andrew Evans  

Andrew Evans