Fine Art/Emil Kosa

Question
Emil Kosa
Emil Kosa  
Dear Dolly,

I have this watercolor by Emil Kosa Jr titled Spring Sunshine. It is small, 21" x 14 ½” including frame. I was told it comes from the estate of the artist. I researched the artist online and saw he is mostly famous for his larger landscape paintings. What can you tell me about the artistic value of this particular work? Do you have an idea when approximately it could be painted and how it fits within the artist's overall body of work? What can you tell me about the fair market value of the painting?

Thank you in advance!

Answer
Dear Victor,

I researched the artist and there are two artists by the name Emil Kosa; with one being the son. After reviewing the work I believe your watercolor portrait is by Emil Jean KOSA II, (1903-1968). His work is more representative of the watercolor painting that you have. His preference for medium was equally between watercolor and oil, whereas his father only painted with oils,(based on previous sales records).
Although both preferred landscapes, there are always exceptions with artists who will occasionally paint a portrait of a personal relationship. I would contact the California auction houses that have sold most of the artist’s work. I will list these for you below. I hope this information is helpful. Overall, California artists are very collectible on the market at this time.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Auction houses with a history of selling Jean Emil Kosa II:
Bonhams, Los Angeles CA . Website: www.bonhams.com
John Moran, Altadena CA. Website: www.johnmoran.com
Michaan's Auctions, Alameda CA. Website: http://www.michaans.com/

Dolly D Headley