Fine Art/Emil Kosa

Emil Kosa
Emil Kosa  
Dear Dolly,

I have this watercolor by Emil Kosa Jr titled Spring Sunshine. It is small, 21" x 14 ½” including frame. I was told it comes from the estate of the artist. I researched the artist online and saw he is mostly famous for his larger landscape paintings. What can you tell me about the artistic value of this particular work? Do you have an idea when approximately it could be painted and how it fits within the artist's overall body of work? What can you tell me about the fair market value of the painting?

Thank you in advance!

Dear Victor,

I researched the artist and there are two artists by the name Emil Kosa; with one being the son. After reviewing the work I believe your watercolor portrait is by Emil Jean KOSA II, (1903-1968). His work is more representative of the watercolor painting that you have. His preference for medium was equally between watercolor and oil, whereas his father only painted with oils,(based on previous sales records).
Although both preferred landscapes, there are always exceptions with artists who will occasionally paint a portrait of a personal relationship. I would contact the California auction houses that have sold most of the artist’s work. I will list these for you below. I hope this information is helpful. Overall, California artists are very collectible on the market at this time.

Kind regards,

Auction houses with a history of selling Jean Emil Kosa II:
Bonhams, Los Angeles CA . Website:
John Moran, Altadena CA. Website:
Michaan's Auctions, Alameda CA. Website:

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.