Fine Art/oil painting on board

Question
I have an oil painting on board by Franz Lefler called the wedding dream. It is a woman on a fainting couch asleep and cherubs are going to put a ring on her finger. It is a painting and it is on board and it is signed Franz Lefler, but I can't find anything online about it. Is oil on board a lithograph? How do I find something out about it.  It is a beatiful painting.

Laura

Answer
Dear Laura,

The work you describe is actually titled "The Marriage Dream" and the original oil painting was painted by Lefler in 1898. A lithograph is an image imprinted several different times with several different ink layers on a piece piece of paper that has no raised surfaces. It is flat and smooth but people would back lithographs to broads to sturdy them for display when they were first being produced. In contrast an oil on board is rich in texture and very hard to the touch with uneven crevices from the brush strokes. I could not really find anything on the work itself except the title and date, and there is no location listed for it but his oils at auction for the last 6 years have gone for $1,000-$4,000, while his prints (lithographs, chromolithographs) were in the $30 range. Hopefully that helps.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans