Fine Art/getting painting appraised

Hello..i have two paintings that I would like to know their says 293/450 with the 4 upside down and its signed by the artist.written in pencil it seems. I can't read artist name..2nd painting has HC 80/80 with signature..its textured and looks original.what would you recommend I do for appraisal?any input on what abbreviations mean?thanks for your time.

Dear George,

You can contact a local art appraiser who will be able to guide you through the process and give you the value for the two works. How the process works is they will do the research for you and you pay them a fee. A good site to look for one is at the American Society of Appraisers:  or you can do an internet search and see if you feel comfortable using a free one. It's always best to get prices if you are going the paid route, but ultimately you should go with what your comfortable with no matter what.

Both of your works sound like they are prints, i.e. lithographs. The HC on your second work stands for "hors de commerce" which means the work is an artist's proof printed before the standard numbered edition. That means your artist proof edition of 80 was printed before another numbered edition that was the regular edition. This has a varying effect on the value depending on the total edition size, image, and popularity of the work. But that is what an appraiser will help to figure out. Best of luck.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University