Fine Art/selling a painting

I have a painting that I'd like to sell. It should be worth a considerable amount. What do I need to do to sell it at a proper price and to the right buyer?

Dear Jim,

When selling a work of art buyers look for provenance, i.e. ownership history. So if you have receipts for purchase, any certificates of authenticity, appraisals, those go a long way in enticing buyers especially if it is a unique original. In regards to selling the art, there are several avenues:

1. You can take it to an auction house and have it auctioned if is of high value:
- However the thing to keep in mind with that is that they will take a commission from the sell of the work which is usually between 10-20% of the hammer price (final sell price) depending on the auction house and you have to wait for it sell in their next auction which could be months away.

2. You can sell it to a gallery who features the artist in their collection:
-Galleries will usually buy outright and offer you the fair market value, i.e. what they would pay for the work at auction. You can also consign the work with a gallery and have them sell it for you if you do not want to go through the trouble yourself, however they will take a commission from the sale which varies from gallery.

3. You can sell the work yourself on the internet through popular sites such as eBay and etsy. And Paddle8 is an interesting new online auction site that you might consider.

I can tell you if you have a work of value the right buyer is out there, and the international market is very hot right now so the internet/auction route might be the way to go as a broader range of audiences have access to them. Hopefully those help and best of luck.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University