Fine Art/Young Portrait

Question
Young Woman
Young Woman  
signature
signature  
QUESTION: Hello. Can u or anyone on the Internet help me find out about this painting? It was part of my late father's estate. All I really know was that it was purchased in Austria during the second world war. I would like to get it appraised so I can sell.

It is oil on canvas and about 6 ft. X 2ft. It is a wonderful subject. A young lady, in the woods, on a fence with poppies. It is signed in the lower left hand corner, but I do not know who the artist is.

ANSWER: Dear Roland,
Yes, lovely painting. Appears to possibly early century. I am only able to make out the letter M, but there seems to be more to it. There is some glare. Are there any other markings on the painting? Can you read any other letters in the signature? Let me know if you have additional information. Check the back of the painting very closely for any other possible writing. In the meantime I will look in my artist signature books to see if I can find a match. Is there damage to the painting on the young woman's arm and upper torso where there is white?
Kind regards,
Dolly

QUESTION: Hi Dolly;

I forgot to say on the back of the painting, on the wood support, is written in Pencil.- WOLFRAM. I don't know if the artist wrote that or if it a reference to the WWII. The painting was damaged. My father said during the war through chemical bombings, and in the lower left hand corner, with a bullet. He told me the owner of the painting was trying to fix it to sell for food. My father stopped him from doing it and bought it right away. He thought it was valuable. Please let me know also, if the signature turns up.
Roland

Answer
Andre Mare Painting
Andre Mare Painting  
Dear Roland,
The story of this painting is very interesting. It has certainly seen its share of war. I have been studying the signature and I may have a match on the artist. The signature looks like "Mare" and I located a French artist André Mare,(1885-1932); whose style resembles your painting. I even found another nude of his that I will share with you. You mentioned the painting had been damaged from the chemical bombings. Interestingly, the artist died n November 1932 of tuberculosis, following mustard gas poisoning in the war.
I don't know how much damage there is to the painting, but that will affect its value.
Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley