Fine Art/Helen Rundell print

Hello. I have purchased Helen Rundell print signed and artist proof in pencil. There is a lot of numbers at the back as well as title Green Tree AP  and some numbers like 7/31-4...
There is no number on the front just Artist proof and signature.
I am trying to find out what I have. I see that some galleries are selling limited edition numbered prints for about $450. Do you think that my print has more value?
Thank you

Dear Monika,
An artist proof was traditionally meant to be an early pull of a print edition that allowed the artist to review the print and make changes prior to printing the limited edition. They are now more common as an extra run outside of the numbered edition that are given to the artist to keep or give to other people. They are usually not allowed by the publisher to sell their AP edition until the numbered edition has been sold out. Some AP editions are numbered and considered a separate edition. AP's that are not numbered can not be tracked as to how many were produced and where they are. There are many forgeries in the art world, especially with the masters, so I would not personally buy an open AP from a major artist due to it being a perfect avenue for reproduction that cannot be tracked back to the artist.
I checked for her publisher, but it appears to be closed. Green Tree was published in 1979 and I could only locate information on the numbered edition of 150; with no mention of an AP edition. My only suggestion is to contact a gallery that carries her work and ask if they have a publisher's list of the editions for her lithographs. They may also be able to help you get confirmation that an AP edition was created for the print. I hope this information is helpful.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.