Fine Art/Michael Schofield Oil on Canvas

I have a Michael Schofield original oil on canvas with COA. It is titled "Morning Storm" and is supposed to be the largest seascape ever painted by him. My wife doesn't really care for the painting so I am considering selling it. I can't find and other seascapes by him to compare value. Can you provide any advice? Thanks.

Dear Kevin,

I did a quick search and there are many paintings by the artist online for sale. I found one "semi" seascape at:

Overall, the subject matter for an artist like Schofield is probably secondary when assessing its value. The value is going to be more in the pleasantry of the image and uniqueness of perspective. For instance, you can find many landscapes with trees, but some have better perspective, are more interesting, and represent more work/skill than others by the same artist. Even the color palate can make a difference in the final sale price of a painting.

Review his work based on size, then where it fits in comparison to other work. He also has paintings currently on ebay. When looking at the pricing you will realize why it is so difficult to give people valuations. The prices are widely variable on this artist. My best advice is to get an average for the size and then price the piece as to what you want for the painting. I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.