Fine Art/Vanguard

Dolly, I read your answer about the Vanguard paintings and was wondering if they did special orders from photos? Could people send in pictures and have them painted? I acquired a painting from a good friend, who thinks it could be her mom, if not, then it looks just like her. She lives across the country and has 3 girls. Just wondering if I should keep it until one is grown and ready for it.  It's stamped and signed but not Reynolds.
Thank you, Mary H.

Dear Mary,
There are no records specifically stating whether the studio accepted commissioned portraits, but it is unlikely. Most images were mass produced using an original as an example. That does not mean that perhaps your friends mother was not a subject from a photograph. I suppose anything is possible. My personal feeling is that if it looks her, let it "be" her. You said it is signed. Have you tried looking up the artist that signed it? There may be a connection to your friends mom through that avenue.
I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.