Fine Art/20th century furniture

Question
20th Century Furniture
20th Century Furniture  
Hello, I would like to know if you have any idea what the circa would be on a set of chairs I have?  I would also like to know if there was a particular designer of the chairs as well or how was the manufacturer? There are no markings on the chairs from what I can see.  I have attached a photo. I would appreciate any information you can give.

Thank you in advance!

Answer
Hello Ann;

Thank you, for the question.

Based on the single image which you have posted, it is my opinion that you have a set of furniture, which are late "Victorian Dining Room" chairs.

A very good and early example of this type of chair, dating to around 1759, is to be found in Dumfries House in Scotland.

The original design was made by Alexander Peter, and is  referred to as the "Wych Elm" chair.

The  furniture collection at Dumfries House in Scotland is second to none in the whole world, as it has always been kept intact.

Unlike today, things in the past - only developed more slowly; be it travel, science, food, fashions etc.

However time  never stood completely still, and a great  deal of information and communication took place, between Continental Europe and the America's.

Emigrants to the New World, they also brought new skills and ideas, when they moved across the world.

So the different fashions and styles, moved freely back and forth, in the shape of people, broadsheets,magazines and many other different publications.

Thus in essence, you have  an English 18th century design for a set of chair's.

However  your particular chairs,  are of a later date and are based on the American 19th century Federal and Empire period.

As to the maker; there are numerous  American makers of furniture, ranging from Joseph Meeks in New York, or the Detroit Chair Factory.

However, I suspect the smaller family firm of perhaps Alexander Roux, which started in the 1880's - could also possibly be a very likely candidate.

The firm of >Roux< closed  in 1898.

A top class auction house would be able to make a >hands on< examination, thereby giving you much more information.

I suspect that these chairs  do have monetary value and therefore should not be cleaned with any harsh chemicals, as a really good beeswax polish but without any silicone - is more than sufficient.

Cleaning them otherwise, will only devalue them.

They might be made of Oak or Elmwood, but I am unable to say exactly - based on the image.

Find a >GOOD< and reputable action house near to where you live > yellow pages < - and take a chair along to them for further examination.

These quality chairs are not in the category - commonly referred to as >yard sale<  - and should not find their way into any of these  rather rickety auctions, which have  recently spouted up like mushrooms.  

I hope, that this information is of some help to you - and very good luck with the chairs!

Take care.
David.  

D. E. Lombardo