Fine Art/De Vity painting?

48\' in length 24\' wide
48' in length 24' wide  

My uncle passed away a left me this painting, he said it was valuable, but I have no idea, my wife is interested in selling it, help! I live in Goodyear, Arizona, it's a big oil painting with a signature in the right hand lower corner and a stamp on the back that say's Studio d'arte Italia, I have attached pictures, thanks for your time and assistance.

I don't usually answer questions about European artists, but it was very easy to find Antonio DeVity (1901-1993).  Originally from Reggio-Calbria in southern Italy, he lived and worked in Naples, Rome and in Paris. This artist was a prolific painter of street scenes and cityscapes in the two large European capitals.  A simple Google search on his name will turn up much more for you. He has a page at

Unfortunately, public auctions of his paintings have rarely reached the $300 level, with only one work selling for about twice that amount several years ago.  Most of his pictures hammer in the $100-$250 range. I would judge that after an auctioneer's selling fees, you might not net a king's ransom as it were.  It isn't hard to find reputable antique or fine art dealers in Scottsdale or Phoenix.  I'd suggest you shop your photographs and measurements to some local dealers and take the first good cash offer.

If you walk away with only $100, you will at least know your uncle treasured the art. Likely, he was able to recall a pleasant trip to the Continent? Buy a great bottle of Chianti and salute him!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration