Fine Art/Edgar Davis Painting

The Star
The Star  
I have purchased a painting at a thrift store that is called "The Star 1876" by Edgar Degas and I do not know if it is an authentic painting or a reproduction. Wal Mart has them for sale online for 60-150$. I would like to take a picture of it or describe any particulars to you to find out if it is a copy or if it is a real one.

Hi Andrew,

I believe this work to be a reproduction as the original unique painting "The Star" is located in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris as seen below:

Degas would likely not have created two original paintings of the same image. His original painting is quite famous and widely reproduced. I believe that you have one of these reproductions.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University