Fine Art/Edgar Davis Painting

Question
The Star
The Star  
I have purchased a painting at a thrift store that is called "The Star 1876" by Edgar Degas and I do not know if it is an authentic painting or a reproduction. Wal Mart has them for sale online for 60-150$. I would like to take a picture of it or describe any particulars to you to find out if it is a copy or if it is a real one.

Answer
Hi Andrew,

I believe this work to be a reproduction as the original unique painting "The Star" is located in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris as seen below:

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/edgar-degas/the-star-dancer-on-stage

Degas would likely not have created two original paintings of the same image. His original painting is quite famous and widely reproduced. I believe that you have one of these reproductions.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Best,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans