Fine Art/Gustav Klimt Print

Question
I own a print by Klimt which, when appraised, was described as being a photograph of a print, but not the print itself. Recently I read an article about Klimt and a process he used called collotype. I'm now thinking that what I have is a collotype of his. Can you advise me how to proceed? The information I have on the back of the print is:

CATALDA FINE ARTS, INC.
NEW YORK N.Y.
TITLE   Water Maiden
Artist  Klimt
Frame No. AS WB 822

Answer
Hello Edward,

Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. Unfortunately, the work that you have by Catalda is likely a printed reproduction with only decorative value (no real collectible value). Catalda Fine Arts has a somewhat marred reputation, as they were involved in litigation for many years regarding copyright violations to the images that they produced.

The values can vary on these Catalda works based on factors such as the desirability of the image, the artist, size, condition, and framing.  They tend to range from $50 to a few hundred if the work is in excellent condition and nicely framed.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Best,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans