Fine Art/Laura (?) Knight

I am trying to identify whether I have a print or painting by what appears to be signed as Laura Knight. I have not been able to find this particular painting in an on-line catalog of her work. The picture appeas to have raised brush strokes like a real oil, but is under glass in a matted frame. The Laura is questionable. Could you shed any light on this painting or artist. Thank You

Hello Robert;
Thank you, for the question.

This particular artist, is really a quite astounding personality.

It is  very hard to compress all of the  works, then many great achievements  and life span of Laura Knight; into just a very few  lines.

The provided image, falls into the style and category of her  genre.

Laura Knight, she was born in England and lived from 1877-1970.

She was also at the very center, of the most  tumultuous periods of modern history.
Her own prolific artistic output, mirrored all of the  great  periods of turmoil - along with some magical moments of freedom and peace.

Her own life, it spans over the very many friendships, with all of the great names in international politics, social movements and artistic endeavors, right down to being an official  > War Artist < during the second world war  - to  being the first woman artist, who got elected to  the Royal Academy in 1936.

So, apart from winning a silver medal award for her painting a boxer, given at the summer Olympics in Amsterdam  in 1928, to then being given by the Queen of England - the Order of the British Empire, to being the official artist at the Nuremberg War Trials in 1946.

Her life experienced some of the great highs and lows, from the swirling foggy streets of  Victorian history,  to the Jazz age of the Art Deco period- and right up to our own modern times.

Her works also span the horrors and trials of war, to the  carefree children playing on an idyllic beach during the summer  vacations - and also portraits and  scenes from the  daily life of people, while some are also viewed - backstage in the theater.

As you may  have gathered, her works are all highly collectible.
Sometimes, oils, watercolours etc, they are all placed behind glass.

Establishing authenticity, is a serious affair.

My advice would be, to take it along to a reputable auction house such as Bonhams, Sotheby's, Christies etc.

Such  top end  auction houses, all have the required expertise - to make a good  provisional  examination.

This is not a job for a small local auction house, likewise  - if it be genuine,  then it is not a matter for a yard sale, or any small auction house to deal with - as they do not have the necessary expertise.

I hope this information ,has cast more light on your painting.
Very good luck with the painting and  I wish you all the best with the rest of the search!
Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.