Fine Art/Oil painting

Framed picture
Framed picture  
Hello, we have had this painting since the late 80's. we tried to research it back then and didn't find any helpful information. The artist name I believe is L.D. Webster, 1854. This was found in a house which we purchased the contents of in Syracuse, NY.

There is no listed American Fine Artist known as L.D. Webster. It appears you may have an antique picture from the back half of the nineteenth century. If it is really old, you'll find there is more dust in the bottom stretcher than the top. A clean picture at an antique auction may bring $50-$100 depending on size, condition and all the usual variables. Troll around a bit with "Hudson River School Art" searches on eBay for comparable antique paintings. Certainly has the look of an old upstate New York landscape, perhaps the Mohawk River? Dramatic. Best of luck.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration