Fine Art/Painting

front signature
front signature  
Hi Mr. Cartwright,

I have attached 2 pictures, as the system only allows. If you need more pictures I have several really clear pictures. Including pics of the back signature and inscription.

Please help ID this artist, any information would be helpful.

This painting is interesting as it is signed on BOTH front and back of the painting. Maybe that will help with IDing the artist.

I have seen this artist before, but can't remember the name of the artist- but I believe the under back signature it says "Milan". Its not readable- but I believe that's what it says.

This artist put "Milan" on at least a few of his/her paintings as I recall. The artist might have also might have put "Paris" on other paintings if that helps.

It weighs 7 lbs,

its 41 1/2 X 30 with frame, 24 X 35 without. I believe frame is original to the picture. The canvas is nailed to the stretcher.

How was made- with paint on canvas not sure if acrylic or oil.

I have no idea of title of painting.

Subject is Impressionism style, maybe made last 50 or so 60 years not sure on that.

The picture is signed front and back. Back inscription.

No dates or stamps.

THANKS AGAIN, your kindness is greatly appreciated!!

Fifty years ago, in the post WWII economic boom, as houses across the US were popping up like garden weeds in July, the demand for big wall paintings was off the charts. Supply met demand with many commercial enterprises cranking out reproductions of masterful period pieces. Were the 1950s and 1960s the heyday of French Impressionism? No. But this did not stop mass marketers from reproducing beautiful Impressionism from the late nineteenth century.  Think about it. A booming America with money to burn, many GIs just returned from Europe where they were exposed to great artistic traditions, and many new walls to cover up.  A perfect storm, encouraging the mass manufacture of framed reproduction art. An indistinct and highly stylized signature with a European sounding name, "A. Gio...joue", with "Milan" and "Paris" initialed on it?

But this artwork looks like it is in pretty good condition. It may have been manufactured even more recently than fifty years ago. Perhaps, within the last two decades?  Perhaps sold to a tourist visiting the Continent?  (On any given day, one might find a few dozen painters out in the French gardens, hastily knocking out painted pieces for passing tourists. This piece is perhaps too large for that.) Since it would look handsome against any wall, it may well be a packaged piece constructed to complement fine home decor.

You have a very pretty picture. The work of a known fine artist? I do not think so.  Of course, this does not mean you might not enjoy the work! Titles are not too important to fine art. But your work looks like a beautiful summer day in the "Tuileries" or "Bois de Boulogne" in Paris. Hang it up and enjoy a cheap trip to Paris every day!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration