Fine Art/C. Harrison Fischer sketch of George M. Cohan, 1916

Question
Is there a value to this item.  It is an original, framed in somewhat "distressed" wood. The back looks very old.

It was given to me by my mother when she lived in Phila., Pa.

Answer
Ms. Taylor,
I believe you have a print or lithographic copy of a work that hangs in the Smithsonian.  A young George M. Cohan in a town hat looking off the picture right, his left?  Rosy cheeks? A jaunty smile?  Look up "Harrison Fisher" "George M. Cohan" on Google Images.

If, however, you have an original Harrison Fisher, you would have artwork by one of America's most well-known illustrators.  Harrison Fisher completed scores of covers for works such as the Saturday Evening Post, Scribners, Life and Cosmopolitan.  He is best known for his drawings of "Fisher Girls" -- elaborately detailed and romanticized beauties.  If he was called upon to sketch a famous figure such as George M. Cohan, then you have an added element of historical value.  If both assumptions above are true, and the work itself, (never mind the frame) is in pristine condition, then your art could be worth four figures.  Best contacts for you next would be Heritage Auctions in Dallas (ha.com) and American Illustrators Gallery in NYC.  

Hope this information helps.

Stuart Cartwright