Fine Art/Einar Peterson

Question
Left
Left  

Right
Right  
Found einar Petersen in a bunch of old prints from old hotel. Painting is 26x50. Painting is perfect, frame is original although been touched up with spray paint. Seen another one but it is 7'x15'. Is this common to paint more than one. Mine is unmistakeable as an oil on board painting. Not a print. Looking for a value and a good appraiser in Denver or Omaha area.

Answer
John,
A few quick thoughts:
Janet G. Smith is an appraiser in Omaha.

She will likely look online and find that Einar Cortsen Petersen (1885-1986) does not come to public auction much. But in the last decade a number of his oils of similar size have fetched between $1,000 and $2,000.  (Then figure and back out your seller's fees, etc.)  

One notable exception is a sale at Barridoff Galleries in Maine back in 2006 of two 26x32 works of similar style and palette. Buyer paid $6,000 for each, including the house premium. Sounds like they had the right people in the right room at the right time! 2006 was also a high-water mark for the American art market, so take that into account.  

I would say that there is currently a good running interest in Western artworks, both fine art paintings and sculpture pieces.  You might try sending high resolution photographs to the following auction houses that regularly conduct auctions in precisely this genre.  
-Bonhams in San Francisco
-John Moran in Los Angeles (Pasadena)
-Heritage Auctions in Dallas, TX

Offhand, I'd be surprised if an auction house didn't estimate at least a $2,000 - $2,500 value on this painting, and that could vary upwards depending on condition.  It looks like a wonderful piece.  Best of luck!

Stuart Cartwright