Fine Art/John Haymson

Question
watercolor
watercolor  

Signature
Signature  
I recently acquired an original signed watercolor by John Haymson, titled 'Skyline of lower NY city from Brooklyn'.  It is approximately 13" x 34". It is framed under glass and appears to be in excellent condition.  There is nothing written on the back.  I might be interested in selling it if there is any value to it.  I have attached pictures. Can you please advise?
Thank you..

Answer
Andrea,
Sure. In the last 15 years, Haymson watercolors have been offered at public auction about a dozen times.  Seven sales for a grand total of $1,200.  Or less than $200 each. If you are looking for cash ... I'd suggest eBay or a local flea market/antique dealer.

As you are aware, John Haymson was a commercial illustrator born in Austria in 1902, trained in that country before embarking on a career in NYC.  He died in 1980.  

The Brooklyn Bridge is probably the most popular architectural element in New York City for artists to depict since it was built.  It's a beautiful bridge, and if you are interested in it, I'd heartily recommend reading the great David McCullough's history of how it was built. Best of luck.

Stuart Cartwright