Fine Art/John Haymson

I recently acquired an original signed watercolor by John Haymson, titled 'Skyline of lower NY city from Brooklyn'.  It is approximately 13" x 34". It is framed under glass and appears to be in excellent condition.  There is nothing written on the back.  I might be interested in selling it if there is any value to it.  I have attached pictures. Can you please advise?
Thank you..

Sure. In the last 15 years, Haymson watercolors have been offered at public auction about a dozen times.  Seven sales for a grand total of $1,200.  Or less than $200 each. If you are looking for cash ... I'd suggest eBay or a local flea market/antique dealer.

As you are aware, John Haymson was a commercial illustrator born in Austria in 1902, trained in that country before embarking on a career in NYC.  He died in 1980.  

The Brooklyn Bridge is probably the most popular architectural element in New York City for artists to depict since it was built.  It's a beautiful bridge, and if you are interested in it, I'd heartily recommend reading the great David McCullough's history of how it was built. Best of luck.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration