Fine Art/oil painting signed Robert Cox purchased in the 70's

jennys robert cox oil
jennys robert cox oil  

jennys robert cox signature
jennys robert cox sign  
Could this painting be by the American artist Robert Cox from New Jersey that passed in 2001?  If so could this painting have value where I should have extra insurance carried?  My mother purchased it in the 1970's and was willed to me when she passed.  The frame is what was on it when she purchased it. Believe it was purchased in Michigan or could have been Florida. The size of the painting is26 in wide by 22 high.  Many of the paint strokes look like they were done with a wide brush or tool?

Hello Jenny,
Yes. Very likely a painting by the Robert Cox whom you have already identified accurately.  Precisely his style.  Alas, his works have been offered at public auction seven times, resulting in four sales.  High price = $185, Low price = $5.  So your answer is: Do not bother to insure it.  

Not to say it is not a lovely still life painting. Original art of any ilk is lovely to possess, (or gift!) regardless of market value. You should certainly continue to enjoy it, especially given the connection it provides to your mother.  At the tail end of a long winter, it gives one hope that spring flowers are in the not too distant future!  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration