Fine Art/old painting

Question
painting
painting  

painting back
painting back  
I own a very old unsigned painting that I would like help identifying. It is oil on canvas, 17.5" wide and 10" tall. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Answer
Mary Ann:
Indeed, you have an old painting. It is pretty interesting, even if not a masterpiece. At first glance I'd say this is a European work, and this is possibly a French scene.  Looks like a classic Gothic Church out on a peninsula or island and harkens to Mont Saint Michel which is the the most popular tourist destination in France other than the Eiffel Tower.  It is not Mont Saint Michel, but certainly the dreamy moonlight mood might capture a tourist's romantic imagination. This ethereal, gauzy quality was a popular style among American artists in the 1880s called "tonalism".  Many tonalist artists like Dwight Tryon and John La Farge traveled to France to study painting, and became hooked on "Barbizon" French styles.  Look up those terms. Likely what you have is a painting purchased on a visit to France by an American possibly at the end of the nineteenth century. I'd say it's main worth is as an antique decorative piece.  It needs a good frame, then it might be worth a few hundred to a dealer.  Hard to say whether you should put any money into it, but at least you know two new art terms, right?  
Best of luck.

Stuart Cartwright